
Wyatt permanently damaged his spine by attempting to stand balance on top of Okoboji's giant earth ball. Perhaps if we would've been playing with it outside, as design intended, the grass and earth would've absorbed some of the force that rocked Wyatt's tail bone. Maybe Balst or Wyatt can refresh my memory, but I'm not remembering what his purpose was on top of the ball. Was he trying to walk on it like a circus bear?

3 comments:
That wasn't the only time that summer he almost crushed his spine. Remember him climbing the deck, then the piece of wood broke and he fell a long ways onto his back. The funny thing is that with all that stupidity, you were the only one with a serious injury that summer with that fluke broken foot.
Oh yeah. I did break my foot on Keepers' trampoline. And I totally forgot about Wyatt's climbing on the deck. Awesome.
Yeah, Connie was standing right there when I fell from the deck. I was laying on the ground with wood splinters all over the place, still clutching a broken piece of 2-by-4 to my chest. She wouldn't let me move at first because she thought I had a spinal chord injury or trauma to my head. It took some convincing to get her to see that I was unhurt.
As for the giant earth ball, you weren't far off with the "circus bear" thing. We were kicking the ball around and I thought, "I'll just jump up and balance on top of it." I miscalculated on a couple of counts.
First, balls are round and they roll. Second, inflated balls are bouncy. My feet landed on top of the ball, but then bounced upward as the ball rolled away beneath me. Thus, I fell from about 8 feet in the air and landed directly on my tailbone. In hindsight, it was a bad idea.
Post a Comment