
Took the GRE yesterday. It was more difficult than I anticipated. Turns out, my vocabulary is much worse than I thought. I've added a sample question, which pretty much sums up how I felt through the entire verbal section. There are several of these antonym questions on the test. Just pick the antonym. These questions, theoretically, should be extremely easy. I could probably figure most of them out with some context, but Nooooo, just the word. Who am I? John Tesh? Not hardly! I don't know what these words mean.
VITUPERATIVE:
A. lethal
B. incapacitated
C. laudatory
D. insulated
E. prominent
Just for kicks, whoever's reading this, post your answer to this question. Please, scout's honor. No wiki or google. I'll post the answer later. I'm looking for the antonym of VITUPERATIVE.

7 comments:
I don't even know what an antonym is so I am going with D. insulated
I forgot to mention I have a BA in Communications and a minor in English.
Let's break it down...
Vit...up...era...tive
Vit - one letter away from "hit"
Up - is...well...up
Era - a long period of time
Tive - last part of "relative"...so we'll go with "a person who may or may not be related to you.
In summary...Vituperative would be a person who hits you up constantly...for various things...which would be a total downer.
So... the opposite would be someone/thing that makes you feel good. "lifts" you up instead of "hits" you up. The answer, therefore is clearly C - laudatory.
I think it would be laudatory because vituperation is basically berating somebody.
So that would be my guess.
E. Based on absolutely nothing.
My guess was "c. laudatory". I don't have any justification like She-shew or that intellectual elitist Tim Beam. Just a random guess.
c. laudatory
Post a Comment